Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Teenagers’ Obsessions for 2010 - Justin Bieber, Step Up 3D and EMO Style!

step-up-3d-justin-bieber-emo

3 simple images found on the web, combined together, make the dream wallpaper/picture for every teenager’s phone, laptop, Facebook, Twitter, My Space, Messengers, etc…

First let me list the three obsessions and tell you a brief about them:

 

 

 

  1. Justin Bieber – 16 year old Canadian singer who was discovered through his uploaded Youtube singing clips. He is loved because the media played a kick ass role in making this happen. His blonde, naturally styled and brushed hair as he claims, is a dream hair of all the boys and an attraction to all girls. They say his voice is hypnotizing, but all I can hear is a kid singing like both my brothers do, I will give him a chance till after he turns adult, maybe the professionals have the ability to hear his future grownup voice. He is a good dancer and guitar player.
  2. Step Up 3D – A Step Up sequel featuring professional trained dancers/actors and can be viewed using 3D experience as it is the 3rd sequel. The soundtracks of the movie are very popular now.
  3. EMO Style – It is a so claimed “state of mind” or “trend.” The state of mind states that one should be only friends with those of the same EMO nature. One should not talk much and be extremely emotional, the pain felt by EMO is a pleasure and not actual pain as they tend to deep cut their arms and legs and do some major physical damage. As for the trend, the hair should atleast cover 30% of the face/forehead, dark colors to be worn, tight jeans, scarves and jackets, all seasons!! And for the girls, make up should be dark with dark or multicolored nail polish.

I don’t really know much about what is going on at the moment for western teenagers but all I know is what I have been seeing this year in the Middle East region. And as a person born and raised in the Middle East, I go out for cruises almost everyday. However, while doing that on the weekend, I look around, and I see the streets are literally packed with kids that seriously lack style and etiquette. They walk in the Middle of the streets as if they don’t care to be run over since they are fearless (EMO), I can’t remember the last time I saw a teenager wearing red, yellow, white or any bright color, noone dresses for the season, hair is extremely greasy from the kilos of wax or ultra strong gel applied to it. Most of them have all Justin Bieber songs which is strange as it doesn’t match the style or outfit. 13 year olds smoking, dance groups on every pavement starting fist fights from their lack of dancing experience, I know the sentence sounds strange but this is the true nature of what’s happening.

As for the teenage girls, now, most of Caucasian, dark skinned or brunette boys are out of every girl’s league. Because all of them are looking for blonde skinny boys, with very soft hair who can sing and know how to dance, a plus is knowing how to play the guitar!!! So, since in the Middle East only 1/20 of males are blondes, teenage girls start dating older guys since all the blondes their age is taken.

After seeing all this, I sat with my young brothers and conducted a small scaled survey with their help. and concluded that, literally, all teenagers ranging from age 13 to 17 are obsessed with atleast one of these 3 phenomena.

I hate to say that this generation lacks common knowledge, education, boundaries, morals, respect and most importantly they lack personality. They are what others want them to be, and the others are what the media wants them to be. I don’t think it is some kind of conspiracy or propaganda. It is just a shame how empty minded teenagers are these days and how absent minded the parents are these days.

Music, television, shows and dancing is the new formula to a teenager’s personality…. What a shame!

I am not sure how to end this post, but all I can add is:

Not everything in the West can be imitated and looked high at since such phenomena can lead to an incompatible teenager mentality with our society or culture. So I tell you dear parents: ……….. Ahhhhh never mind! You won’t listen anyway!!