Saturday, April 4, 2009

Think Before You Boycott

Since the beginning of life, there are two kinds of everything, the good and the bad. Without them co-existing, there will never be balance and equilibrium in the continuity of life. Without balance everything will fall apart and everything will fail.

If we were all rich, there will never be people who can make pizza and deliver it to your house. If we were all poor, there will never be any progress in our existence. If we were all peaceful, we would never find a place to stand up because the world will be packed with people and over-flooded with everything. If we were all evil, our existence would've ceased thousands of years ago.

So without the balance of life, nothing will be able to go on. I know I said nothing related to boycotting, but I will get to the point in a bit. We humans evolve really fast, and especially in the times we're in now, we are faster than ever and the speed of our technological advances and evolution is even accelerating gradually.

Wars are the worst form of negotiation ever because it always results in physical and psychological harm for both sides. Humans are very sensitive and easily affected by their surroundings. We are born like this and will always stay like this because this is the main reason we are evolving.

Back to the good and bad, well whenever someone does good in this world, one is rewarded. And the bad is always punished. In my opinion, the stupidest and lamest punishment is boycotting. I know I might be hated for this article, but I am a very realistic and reasonable person. I have feelings too, but I don't think that boycotting will ever work on anyone.


Let me relate it to a simple scenario. You have a very successful popcorn business, you used to distribute the popcorn bags to a poor neighborhood. One day you fire one of the employees you have whose originally from this poor neighborhood. He goes to the neighborhood and tells them to boycott your popcorn. The results will be the following; not all of them will care because they like the popcorn, the people who boycott at first, will go back to buying this popcorn again later. And for extreme worst case scenario where everyone in the neighborhood REALLY boycott this product, you will also find another solution to replace the profit you used to make from this neighborhood by; either finding another neighborhood, or raising the prices slightly to compensate. So either way, you will not lose anything, in fact, they will stop having your delicious popcorn and that's it.

Well the same scenario happens when people boycott anything. I went through hundreds of websites to gather information about anyone who tried to boycott anyone. The results were hilarious to me. Everyone in this world relies on someone. The biggest two examples are the West relying on the Middle East's oil and the Middle East relying on the West's technologies. To be able to boycott a business successfully, you have to have an alternative.

When the war on Gaza started a few months ago, everyone started sending me hundreds of emails to boycott everything related to Israel. I was like okay let's do it, where do I start? I researched all products that has the slightest benefit to Israel and this is what I came up with:
  • Intel - The computer I am using is Intel based, Mac's are also Intel based. So I have to throw it away but I can't.
  • Microsoft - The main operating system in my laptop is Windows from Microsoft so I think I should also delete it but also I can't.
  • All Messengers - AOL, ICQ, Google, Windows Live, Yahoo and Skype. I have to uninstall them, but again, I can't.
  • My USB Drive - A technology developed by Israelis and it's still advancing by Israelis. I guess I can get rid of it.
  • My Voice Mail - The voice mail is also a technology by Israelis. I'll disable it on my phone, I don't care if anyone contacts me when my cell is turned off.
  • PHP Websites - Almost all websites are now PHP websites because it's a very helpful language and easy to use developed by Israelis. I have to stop visiting all websites and emails with PHP. I can't do that because everything is now connected through the internet.
  • Nestle - No more cornflakes, milk or nescafe. I am fine with that, I can find alternatives but they're honestly disgusting.
  • Coca Cola and Pepsi - Well I can stop them as well and have the other disgusting brands.
  • Disney - I have to stop watching any animated movie because it will be beneficial for the Israelis.
  • Many many many many more....
So after all I thought to myself, this is non sense and insane. I can't just throw away everything Israeli related. Because everything around us is somehow related to Israel and the West, EVERYTHING, look around you. Before I decide to boycott anything, I want my own country to have the proper technology and the products I am getting rid of as an alternative and I promise I will boycott everything related to the West, after all I want the best for my country. Besides, after all the campaigns of boycotting Western products, no one is boycotting jack. Everyone eventually will, at some point, use a Western products and it's inevitable. That's one thing, also we realistically will never drastically affect their developments and businesses because we rely heavily on the West and our governments as well.

Does not boycotting any of those products make me evil? No. Because after all, we are all selfish people looking for our happiness and looking for our satisfaction in this world. I don't live for you or for any other person. I can help out in everything by donations and supporting causes in many means, but I can't deprive myself from anything for you. Instead of depriving, I am more into supporting and giving.Which is better, to punish the abuser or to help the abused? In my opinion, to help the abused is a priority. After all Karma has it's way and I believe in Karma as it's the only explanation to the balance of our lives.

One last boycotting example. If the West decides to boycott Middle Eastern oil. They will suffer from the greatest loss in everything in a very short time and we will have more oil. Eventually, no one is benefiting from boycotting, instead, the people who boycott will be missing what they boycotted. And one last word for everyone, if you still insist on boycotting anything, do some research on what exactly to boycott to DO IT PROPERLY, and then DON'T STOP BOYCOTTING because if you stop, you will never be able to do something properly and right ever. Think about it from a logical realistic point of view.

I am not supporting anyone. I am not with or against anyone. I am just talking about the boycotting from my own perspective as a concept. Honestly, it's the lamest way of punishment. Supporting is actually supporting the needy and not boycotting the fulfilled.