Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Women Driving Rights in Saudi Arabia

Who said driving is meant to be only for men? Who made those rules? In this world men and women share equal rights of having the ability to do and become whatever they want. In some countries driving for women is prohibited and until now I don’t get why. Anyhow, I did some major research in well known countries that prohibit women from having their own cars or driving.

One of those countries is Saudi Arabia, since cars arrived to Saudi Arabia women were never meant to use it. It’s a strange law; however, they say they have their own reasons. So I asked a friend of mine who lives in Saudi Arabia about the reasons, and he said:

Saudi Arabia is a country ruled and run by religion and only the Islamic Sunni religion. I know it has nothing to do with women not driving. But, imagine a women, a 1000 years earlier, riding a horse or a camel. I wouldn’t make sense. Nowadays, in Saudi Arabia, it’s believed that women don’t have the stable state of mind to be able to drive. And apart from this, if a women is seen driving in Saudi Arabia, it will be disastrous. When you roam the streets in the cities of Saudi Arabia, all women either use taxis or chauffeurs. Still, guys find the ways to stalk them and follow them in their own cars to hit on them. Hitting on women in Saudi Arabia isn’t like any other country. They follow the car the girl is in until she opens her rear window and accepts that the driver of the car following her to throw a paper with his number written on it. So imagine a girl driving, she will not only be stalked or followed, she will probably be pulled over and raped. Their mentality in Saudi Arabia is limited and it all revolves about men having the ultimate right of owning and using everything.”

I was shocked when I heard this. I had lived in Saudi Arabia before, but it never occurred to me that this is the reason women are prohibited from driving. I think this is so unfair. People all over the world say that women drivers are the worst drivers ever. Well, let me correct you all, do your research before saying so because the statistics say that in every 10 accidents, men are responsible for 7 of them. Making men worse drivers than men in the entire world.


I absolutely disagree with the sentence “women don’t have the stable state of mind to be able to drive”. It’s not me who says the opposite, it’s the numbers. But as for the guys following women even if they’re not driving and for how it’s done, I think it’s better if a women didn’t drive in the Saudi Arabia until their entire mentality changes. Although it’s weird how they follow women when they can’t even see their faces because women in Saudi Arabia should always cover their heads and bodies in black by the law.

I don’t understand how religion prohibits women from driving because it has nothing to do with it. In what verse or hadith it’s said in the Quran that women shouldn’t drive? None. And what amazes me more is that Saudi Arabia is a country that has incredible alliance with the United States. Is it a way of hiding their true identity? Is it a way to keep women in control? Or is it just that they’re scared when women start driving they will start wandering off?

It’s a very controversial issue all over the world. And when talked about, every country that has this law feel offended. I don’t get why. I know I might have offended many Saudis in this article but my intentions are to understand the real reasons behind this strange unfair law.

A couple of decades ago, Saudis started travelling more and having more open mind than ever before, they’ve seen the world and they were exposed to the West and the open-minded mentalities in the Middle East. So I don’t think it’s not easy for them to change this law and start granting women the right to have their own cars and drive. If the men were a bit more open minded and civilized, they will be more secure about letting their own women drive.

I am aware that religion, especially Islam isn’t much of a fair religion to women because men can have 4 wives and they have the ultimate right to start and end the marriage. Men can almost do anything and not suffer the consequences women will if they do the same. I know this, but what does driving have to do with any of those rules and religion?

I am looking for an answer. What do you think?

Sources and Opinions